Translation File Names Must Match App.json

This is a quick follow-up on my previous post about creating a container for modified Base App development, about the translation file issue. After publishing that post, I also reported the error message to the AL repo on Github and to the MicrosoftDocs repo.

As @NKarolak suggested, the names of the translation files must match the name in app.json. I was very skeptical about this, because this was never the case in any of the AppSource apps I’ve worked on, and the Doc for the translation files specifically says that there is no enforced naming of the translation files. It might be a new requirement though.

When I first created my AL workspace by exporting it from my container, the translation files were named as follows:

The name in app.json is ‘Base Application’ so the space character is replaced with ‘%20’ which is the html representation for the space character. Since the original error message did not mention the file name, I did not think that the file name itself was the problem.

I decided to try Natalie’s suggestion and replaced the ‘%20’ with a regular space, and voila, it published the app as expected.

Next, I changed the name in my app.json to ‘Super Base Application’ and it errored out again. Once I changed the translation files to match the name in app.json, it worked again.

Moral of the story: when developing a modified Base App, you have to match the translation files to the name in app.json.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *